logo en full

Center for Student Affairs


Our Center for Student Affairs provides students with comprehensive support in all aspects of studying and living in Poland. Our officers guide international students through the process of legalization of stay in Poland, provide information on finding accommodation and obtaining medical insurance. Moreover, the Center supports students in their day-to-day study experience by issuing required documents, providing programs of study, overseeing class scheduling, and answering questions about the education process.

We speak:

Languages PL ENG 

We offer assistance in the following areas:
  • Managing the day-to-day student experience, including: issuing documents, scheduling classes, and providing information about the education process 
  • Legalization of stay in Poland
  • Finding accommodation
  • Assistance with obtaining medical insurance and services
  • Scholarship applications
  • Erasmus+ and other international exchange programs

If you have any questions related to the organization of studies, please contact the Center for Student Affairs via the Contact Zone on the Virtual University Platform. We will review your situation, prepare a solution, and quickly reply with an answer. If your matter requires additional consideration, we will schedule an online meeting with a specialist.

Center for Accessibility and University Events

The Center provides the following services:

  • facilitating student initiatives and advises students who wish to join a student organization
  • providing information on scholarships: +48 22 517 96 21, stypendia@swps.edu.pl
  • supporting students requiring psychological, legal, or financial help. If required, the Center schedules legal or psychological consultations with specialists, at SWPS University’s Clinic. Contact: +48 22 810 80 88, bzon@swps.edu.pl

Support for Students with Disabilities

The Center for Accessibility and University Events provides support for students with disabilities in the following matters:

  • assigning an assistant, a note-maker, or a sign language interpreter
  • lending specialized equipment, such as a magnifying glass, Dictaphone, computer, etc.
  • providing free photocopying, providing a parking spot
  • obtaining special access to the library
  • accommodating student needs during classes and exams (e.g. help with scheduling individual exam dates, extended exam time, aligning the form of exam with student’s abilities (e.g. an oral instead of a written exam), in consultation with lecturers
  • providing assessment and recommendation of adjustments that meet student’s special learning needs
  • assistance with applying for financial support from the State Fund for the Rehabilitation of the Disabled (PFRON)

of stay


Legalization of stay in Poland is a multi-step process. Below you will find a useful check-list of steps that you must complete before you arrive in Poland. You may use the list as a step-by-step instructions and also as a handy checklist, as you proceed through the legalization process.

Check List
  • Find out what documents are required to apply for a Visa and/or a Residence Card
  • Apply for a Visa at the Polish embassy or consulate
  • Confirm accommodation options with SWPS University Office of International Student and Scholar Services, in the chosen city of study
  • Check options of health insurance policy for the duration of your stay in Poland
  • Obtain a credit card (e.g. VISA, Master Card, American Express, etc.)
  • Book your flight / train to Poland
  • Check the options of transportation from your port of entry to your final destination in Poland

International students have two options to legalize their stay in Poland. They can apply for a visa or a residency card.


To obtain a visa, you should contact a Polish Embassy or a Consulate in your country of origin. There are two types of visas.

A national visa (type "D") allows a foreigner to enter Poland and stay within its borders for up to one year. The validity of such a visa depends on the purpose of travel. A national visa entitles a foreigner to travel to other countries of the Schengen Area for the maximum period of three months within a six month period.

A Schengen visa (type "C") can be issued for a period of up to five months. This kind of visa allows a foreigner to remain within the Schengen Area for 90 days in any 180-day period. The visa indicates the number of entries to the Schengen Area, that have occured during the period of its validity.


Residence Card

A Residence Card may be issued only to foreigners, who have already been granted a temporary or permanent residency in Poland, while their residency status is still valid. Holders of a Residence Card may cross the Polish national border numerous times, without the need to have a visa. Students who wish to apply for a Residence Card, should contact their Regional Administration Office (Voivodship Office). The Residence Card is usually issued for the period covering the duration of the academic year plus two additional months. A subsequent card may be issued for the period of three years, at the maximum. The Residence Card application process takes approximately 2 months.

karta pobytu1  karta pobytu2

To learn more about the legalization of stay in Poland, see the presentation on "Student Visas, Student Residence Cards, and Foreign Students and Graduates Working in Poland" prepared by the International Organization for Migration (IOM).

Download presentation in English »
Download presentation in Russian »
Download presentation in Polish »

Legal Support

Students requiring legal advice on topics such as legalization of stay in Poland, lost Residence Card (Karta Pobytu), Polish visas, work permits, etc., may consult Dr. Paweł Kowalski, Attorney at Law.

Duration of a free consultation: 15 minutes.

Online consultations: Wednesdays, between 15:30 and 17:00, via Hangout Meets.

To book an appointment please contact: biuro.zon@swps.edu.pl

The consultations are free of charge. If you need to discuss other matters or have other questions regarding the online legal advice service, please do not hesitate to contact the Center for Student Affairs.


Dormitories and Flats/Apartments Off-Campus

Students of SWPS University have several accommodation options:

  1. Student Depot, private dormitories located in Mokotów district of Warsaw
  2. Privately rented flats and apartments in the city



Dormitories and Flats/Apartments Off-Campus

Students in Poznań have the following accommodation options:

  1. Close to 500 places in Room 4 You student dormitories in several locations 
  2. Privately rented flats and apartments in the city
Private Dormitories and Flats/Apartments Off-Campus

Students in Wrocław have the following accommodation options:

  1. Student Depot offers a range of privately-owned, modern and comfortable dormitories, conveniently located near the city center and the Old Town Market Square
  2. Privately rented flats and apartments in the city




Medical Insurance

All international students must obtain medical insurance for the duration of their study in Poland and must provide SWPS University with a proof of a medical insurance policy. Some health insurance policy options include:

It is essential to have medical insurance in order to avoid expensive medical fees, in the event of a medical emergency or other health related matters.

Accessibility, Scholarship and Student Events Center

SWPS University of Social Sciences and Humanities is an equal opportunity higher education institution and welcomes students with special needs and special access requirements. The Center supports students with special needs and provides them with optimal conditions for studying and for personal development. We take great care to create an inclusive environment for all students, no matter what their needs, to allow them to flourish and experience academic life in all its aspects.

Phone no. +48 22 810 80 88
e-mail: biuro.zon@swps.edu.pl
Room 004
Office Hours: 9.00 -16.00

Emergency numbers
112 European Emergency Number - Toll Free

Numer 112

112 is a universal European emergency telephone number. It can be dialled directly from landline (including pay-phones) and mobile phones. No country or city code is needed.

Since all EU member states are responsible for provision of their own emergency services, the caller may be transferred to a local operator upon placing a call with 112.

Polish Emergency Numbers - Toll Free

While in Poland, students may also call Polish emergency numbers. The numbers can be dialled, free of charge:

  • directly - from landlines (including pay phones)
  • city area code + emergency number - from mobile phones

Emergency numbers



SWPS University and the government of the Republic of Poland offer a variety of scholarships and forms of financial aid for university candidates and students.

For candidates:
  • SWPS University scholarships for international candidates
For students:
  • Academic achievement scholarships
  • Athletic achievement scholarships
  • Scholarships for low-income students
  • Student loans




International Exchange

Providing international exchange opportunities for our students through mobility programs is one of the key goals of the University’s long-term strategy. The Center for Student Affairs helps students participating in the Erasmus+ exchange program complete all formal requirements related to their study abroad and oversees the process of exchange for international students coming to Poland.

Erasmus Outgoing Students

Annually, over 100 SWPS University students have an opportunity to study abroad at one of the 88 Erasmus partnering higher education institutions. Some of the universities include: Sapienza University in Rome, Humboldt-Universität, Tilburg University, KU Leuven, and Universidad Autónoma de Madrid.

SWPS University has also singed cooperation agreements with international partners in China, Kanada, Israel, South Korea and the United States. It allows students to venture beyond Europe and experience diverse cultures.

Additionally, SWPS University provides financial asssistance to students who secure international internships, aligned with their discipline of study. Thanks to the these internships, students have an opportunity to gain valuable experience at research institutes, companies, museums, hospitals, libraries and NGOs, in Europe, Asia and North America.

Erasmus Incoming Students

Every year, SWPS University welcomes close to 100 students, who come to study in Poland, thanks to various exchange programs. We offer six different majors in two cities, including Psychology, English Studies, International Business Management and Law in Warsaw as well as a Design Program in Poznań.


in Poland


The cost of food depends on personal preferences and lifestyle. There are many big grocery chain stores in Poland, including Tesco, Auchan, Carrefour, Biedronka and Lidl. There are also smaller stores and fresh produce markets located in residential areas.

Additionally Warsaw offers a variety of bistros, cafes, fast-food and fine-dining restaurants with a variety of cuisine choices for every price level.

Estimated cost of groceries per month ranges from around 400 to 600 PLN (approx. 90-140 EUR).

Lunch at a fast food restaurant - around 20-30 PLN (approx. 5-8 EUR).

The canteen at SWPS University offers meals at moderate prices, e.g. lunch prices: 15-25 PLN (approx. 3-7 EUR).


Similarly to the cost of groceries, the cost of entertainment depends on personal preferences and lifestyle. Warsaw is a modern city and also an academic center, where young people from all over the world choose to study. There are numerous clubs, cinemas, theatres, museums, fitness facilities and a variety of events and festivals. Every day there is something interesting to do.

Here are some examples of entertainment costs:

  • cinema - 15-30 PLN (aprox. 3-8 EUR)
  • theater - 20-120 PLN (approx. 5-28 EUR)
  • concerts and music festival, starting from 100 PLN (from approx. 23 EUR)
  • clubs (entrance fee) – 5-30 PLN (aprox. 2-7 EUR)

For more information on numerous events taking place in the city, please go to the official website of Warsaw at E-Warsaw Guide.


Warsaw Public Transport

The most economical and the easiest way of moving around Warsaw is public transport. Warsaw offers a good network of public transportation, including subway, buses and trams. When using public transport, you do not have to worry about traffic jams, road blocks, finding available parking or paying parking fees. There are a variety of tickets available, including short-term, long-term, and one ride options. The Public Transport Authority offers a refillable travelcard, called the Warsaw City Card, which is the cheapest way to travel around the city.

Some public transportation costs are as follows:

  • Single ticket valid for one ride (bus, tram or underground) - 1,70PLN (approx. 0.40 EUR), with a student discount.

Refillable Warsaw City Card:

  • 30-day all means of transportation – 55 PLN (approx. 13 EUR), with a student discount
  • 90-day all means of transportation - 140 PLN (approx. 35 EUR), with a student discount

For current information about public transportation, including all ticket prices, timetable, and transportation routes, go to the official website of the Public Transport Authority of Warsaw (ZTM).

Travel in Poland

Poland is a beautiful country and studying here provides a great opportunity to visit many wonderful cities, geographic areas as well as places of historical and cultural heritage. During your studies, plan to visit Gdańsk, Kraków, Lublin, Poznań, Sopot, Wroclaw, and Toruń. Travel south to ski in the Tatra Mountains, go to the North to walk along beautiful sandy beaches on the Baltic sea, see European bisons in Białowieża National Park, get to know Polish culture and history, and try Polish regional cuisine.

You can travel by train or by bus.

Hostel prices range from 30 to 60 PLN (approx. 7 to 14 EUR) per night depending on the season, location and the standard of accommodation.

For more information about Poland, go to Poland's Official Travel Website.


Center for Student Affairs

    • +48 22 517 99 44 only during working hours on weekdays
    • +48 22 517 99 46 only during working hours on weekdays
    • +48 22 517 99 47 only during working hours on weekdays
    • via "Center for Student Affairs" tile on Virtual University platform
    • Due to the COVID-19 pandemic situation and the implementation of online teching, the Center for Student Affairs (CSA) will provide its services entirely online until further notice. To submit or collect your documents, please make an appointment via the Contact Zone on the Virtual University platform or via wizyta.swps.edu.pl/SWPS
    • Office Hours:
      Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and selected Saturdays: 9:00-17:00
  • Chodakowska 19/31
    03-815 Warsaw, Room 007, ground floor, main hallway

Download First Days at SWPS University Folder »